For district administrators with Remind Hub.
Rostering is the fastest and easiest way to roll out Remind across your organization. If your district or school uses Clever, you can create accounts and classes for everyone. Transfer data from your SIS via Clever to Remind to make it easy for members to start using Remind.
Be sure to review our Clever FAQs article for more information about Remind's Clever sync.
This article contains the following sections
- Setting up a Clever sync
- Troubleshooting a Clever sync
- Nightly Clever syncs
- Single sign-on (SSO) with Clever
Before you begin:
Make sure you're a district administrator. Please speak to the individual at your organization who set up your Remind Hub account if you need the role. They can provide you with district admin access from their administrator dashboard.
- You have access to your district's Clever account.
- Admin users in Remind are considered staff members in Clever. When you assign the staff role to a person in Clever, they'll be added as an admin in Remind. Click the Filters tab in Clever to ensure your organization doesn't have a filter on staff users.
- Decide if you want SIS rostering enforcement enabled for your district. This allows you to remove the option for SIS-linked members to leave the organization.
Setting up a Clever sync
Step 1: Add Remind in Clever
Step 2: Share data with Remind via Clever
Set sharing permissions for Remind to let Clever know what data you’d like to transfer.
We recommend sharing by the school, even if you've purchased Remind for your entire district.
Make sure to include the following data points:
|student full name||guardian full name||teacher full name||class name||admin full name|
|student ID||guardian mobile number or email||teacher email||class teacher||staff role|
|student DOB||guardian_preferred_language||preferred_language||class list of students|
All data points are required except for preferred_language. However, We recommend providing the language preference for all teachers, students, and parents. Learn more about sending auto-translated district and school-wide messages. If you choose to share this data:
- You can add the preferred_language for teachers using Clever's teacher objects.
- You must add the preferred_language for students and the guardian_preferred_language for parents to Clever's Student objects ext field. Clever does not currently provide a parent object.
If we do not receive the preferred language, the default is set to English. Users can add a preferred language to their account at any time.
Please keep the following in mind when sharing data via Clever:
- An account will be created for every parent/guardian contact shared with Remind. Before initiating a data share via Clever. We recommend filtering out emergency contacts and any individuals prohibited from contacting students. If our system detects more than five contact points for a student or if a user is linked to an emergency contact, we will place a hold on your sync.
- Remind classes will be created for every section shared with Remind. We recommend reviewing your data permissions sharing rules and excluding inactive or classes you do not want to create in Remind. You can also use Clever Custom Sections to create Remind classes for athletic teams, after-school clubs, and other groups.
- Students, teachers, parents, or administrators can change their preferred language in their profile settings. The new setting will override the language preference data you've shared with Remind.
- This is the link to the values list we accept for the preferred language. Two-letter ISO-639-1, BCP-47, or three-letter ISO-639-2 or ISO-639-3 code.
Step 3: Connect your schools in Remind
Sign in to your Remind account. From your district admin dashboard, click on the SIS sync tab, and select Start SIS sync.
Click sync with Clever, located at the bottom of the screen.
On the next page, click Continue with Clever.
Log in to your Clever administrator account to connect your schools in Remind to your schools in Clever. If you’d prefer not to roster a school with Clever, deselect the school.
Make sure that Remind schools match the corresponding Clever schools. Review the list and correct any discrepancies.
Remind will process the sync and immediately create accounts and classes. Initial syncs can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours. For future syncs, processing time should not exceed 8 hours.
Administrators will be able to see the classes created in their administrator dashboard. Please note teachers will need to log in to Remind to claim the account. Teachers with an active account and active users of Remind will immediately gain access to their rostered classes.
You will receive a confirmation email with details of your sync and the next steps. If you’d like to change your Clever sync configuration settings in the future, contact the Remind support team.
Step 4: Send teacher, student, and parent notifications
After the Clever sync is complete, you’ll need to notify teachers, students, and parents about their new accounts. Any district or school administrator can manually trigger notifications from each school’s SIS sync report. You can learn more about the first teacher, student, and parent notifications here.
Step 5: Add student mobile numbers to Clever-rostered accounts (optional)
Since Clever doesn’t store student phone numbers, student accounts created via Clever sync will only include email addresses. Students can add their mobile number to Remind by following these instructions.
Troubleshooting a Clever sync
To ensure accurate data is transferred from Clever, Remind has several safeguards in place. Please take a look at the articles below for information on addressing sync holds and errors/alerts.
- Sync holds: A school's sync will be placed on hold if Remind suspects a data configuration issue with your Clever sync. You will be notified via email when a sync is placed on hold. Learn more about sync holds.
- Errors and alerts: Errors are issues in your SIS that prevent teacher or student accounts from being created. It's very important that you address these as soon as possible. Alerts are minor data errors in your SIS that, if fixed, would make Remind more useful and productive to use for your school community. Learn more about sync errors & alerts.
Nightly Clever syncs
Remind syncs with Clever every night between the hours of 11pm and 5am PT. When new classes or accounts are added or removed from your SIS, these updates will be automatically reflected in Remind. User actions in Remind (like changing the name of a class) will not be affected by these syncs.
You should send Clever rostering notifications to teachers, students, and parents who are added to Remind from Clever about their new Remind account.
Once a Remind account has been created, users can update their contact information directly in Remind.
Single sign-on with Clever
Single sign-on (SSO) with Clever allows teachers and students to log in to Remind directly from Clever using their Clever credentials. Remind does not support Clever SSO for administrators at this time.
Learn more about SSO with Clever here.