For administrators with a Remind plan.
Rostering is the fastest, most effective way to roll out Remind across your organization. By automatically creating accounts and classes with data from your SIS (Student Information System), you can expand reach and drive adoption across your entire community.
You may choose to transfer data from your SIS via Clever, especially if your school or district already uses Clever. Be sure to review our Clever FAQs for additional information about Remind's Clever sync.
This overview covers the following topics:
Before you begin:
- You are a district administrator. Here are directions on how to add administrators if you want to create an account for the right person. If you don't have access to your district's dashboard, contact support.
- You have access to your district's Clever account.
Step 1: Add Remind in Clever
Step 2: Share data with Remind
Set sharing permissions for Remind to let Clever know what data you’d like to transfer. We recommend sharing by district if your full district purchased or sharing by school and including the following required data points:
|student full name||guardian full name||teacher full name||class name|
|student ID||guardian mobile number or email||teacher email||class teacher|
|student DOB||class list of students|
Please keep the following in mind when sharing data via Clever:
- An account will be created for every parent/guardian contact shared with Remind. Before initiating a data share via Clever, we strongly recommend filtering out emergency contacts as well as any individuals prohibited from contacting students.
- Remind classes will be created for every section shared with Remind, so set up sharing rules to omit unnecessary or inactive classes. You can also use Clever Custom Sections to create Remind classes for athletic teams, after-school clubs, and other groups.
Step 3: Match your schools & select accounts to create
In your district administrator view of the SIS sync report, select sync through Clever.
Log in to your Clever administrator account to match your schools in Remind to your schools in Clever. If you’d prefer not to roster a school with Clever, deselect the school.
Make sure that Remind schools match the corresponding Clever schools. Review the list and correct any discrepancies.
Next, select the accounts you want to create. We recommend creating accounts for all roles and all classes shared from Clever; otherwise, select your desired setup. Keep in mind that students, as well as their parents, will be added to classes in Remind.
Remind will immediately begin processing the Clever sync, creating accounts and classes for the roles selected. Initial syncs can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours. For subsequent syncs, processing time should not exceed 8 hours.
Classes will remain in a pending state until the teacher logs into Remind and claims their account. As classes become live in Remind, administrators will be able see those classes from the 'Classes' tab in their administrator dashboard. Please note that teachers who are already active Remind users will gain access to their rostered classes immediately.
Once the initial sync is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email with details of your sync and next steps. Please note the first Clever sync can take several hours to process. If you’d like to change your Clever sync configuration settings in the future, contact the Remind support team.
Step 4: Send teacher, student and parent notifications
After the Clever sync is complete, you’ll need to notify teachers, students, and parents about their new accounts. Any district or school administrator can manually trigger notifications from each school’s SIS sync report. You can learn more about the first teacher, student and parent notifications here.
Step 5: Add student mobile numbers to rostered accounts (optional)
Since Clever doesn’t store student phone numbers, student accounts created via Clever sync will only include email addresses. Students can add their mobile number to Remind by following these instructions.
To ensure accurate data is transferred from Clever, Remind has several safeguards in place. Reference the articles below for information on addressing sync holds and errors/alerts.
- Sync holds: A school's sync will be placed on hold if Remind suspects a data configuration issue with your Clever sync. You will be notified via email when a sync is placed on hold. Learn more about sync holds.
- Errors and alerts: Errors are issues in your SIS that prevent teacher or student accounts from being created. It's critical that you address these as soon as possible. Alerts are minor data errors in your SIS that, if fixed, would make Remind more useful and productive to use for your school community. Learn more about sync errors & alerts.
Remind syncs with Clever every night between the hours of 11pm and 5am PT. When new classes or accounts are added or removed from your SIS, these updates will be automatically reflected in Remind. User actions in Remind (like changing the name of a class) will not be affected by these syncs.
Teachers, students and parents who are added to Remind from Clever via a nightly sync will automatically receive a notification informing them of their new Remind account.
Once a Remind account has been created, email addresses and phone numbers can no longer be updated from Clever. Instead, users can update their contact information directly in Remind.
Single sign-on (SSO) with Clever allows teachers and students to log in to Remind directly from Clever using their Clever credentials. Remind does not support Clever SSO for administrators at this time.
Learn more about SSO with Clever here.