For administrators with Remind Hub. Click here for information about rostering with an SIS sync. If you already have people in your organization, click here to learn how to add them to a class in bulk.
You can create Remind accounts for teachers, staff members, students, and parents in your organization without having to transfer data from your student information system (SIS).
There are two different ways to manually add individuals to your organization by using the Add people button on your Remind dashboard. You can either:
- Create classes for your teachers and add parents as well as students to the relevant classes. Anytime you add individuals to a class that is linked to your school, they'll automatically get added to your school. We highly recommend choosing this method as it is the fastest and easiest way to add people to your Remind community.
- Add teachers and other staff members to your school. Then have your teachers log in to their Remind account, create their own classes, and add their students and parents to their respective classes. If you choose this method, we highly recommend leading training sessions for your staff as part of implementing Remind. For more information, check out our article on how to train staff members here.
This article contains the following sections:
- How to create a class
- How to add people to a class or school
- How to add co-owners to a class
- Additional Resources
How to create a class
- Log in to your Remind account on the web.
- Click Add class on the left navigation menu.
- Select Create new class.
- Add a Class name.
- As you enter the class name, a Class code will automatically populate.
- Click the dropdown menu to select the School the class should be linked to.
- Uncheck the I will only message people 13 or older box, then recheck it if the class will not have any students under the age of 13.
- Click Create.
- The class page will now be in view.
- The class will also automatically appear under your Classes owned list.
- Repeat steps 1 through 7 to create additional classes.
How to add people to a class or school
- First decide if you're going to add people to a class you created, or to your school.
- To add them to a class, select the class from the Classes owned section in the left navigation menu. We recommended this option because when you add people to a class, they'll automatically get added to the school that the class is linked to.
- To add people to a school, click on the desired School on the left navigation menu. If you choose this method, teachers and staff can create their own classes. You can share this resource with them.
- Click on the blue Add people button on the top right.
- Note: You can add up to 150 people at one time.
- Skip to Step 4 if you want to add people in bulk to your class or school using a spreadsheet. To add people directly in Remind, please follow the steps below.
- Manually enter the first and last name of the first student on the first column of the Students tab. Add the remaining students to the next rows.
- Click the Parents tab, and enter the first and last name as well as the contact information of each parent in the table.
- Click the Teachers tab, and enter the first and last name and school email address of each teacher in the table. Optional: Add a secondary email or a phone number for each teacher.
- Click the blue Add People button on the bottom left of the table.
- You’re now done! All the individuals you added will appear on the People list of the class or on the People list of your school. Note: If your People list has not been updated, refresh the page to populate the new data.
- Open Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel, and create a spreadsheet with three separate tabs such as the example shown below - one for Students, Parents, and Teachers (the same headings shown on the Add people dashboard in Remind).
- On the Students tab (on the Google or Microsoft Excel spreadsheet), add the First and Last names of all the students that should be in the class in the first column, their Phone or Email address in the second column, and add an optional second point of contact in the third column. Then complete the columns for Parents and Teachers on their respective tabs. Be sure to add individuals to the correct tab - Students, Parents, or Teachers.
- Save your Google Sheet or Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
- Copy all the information on the Students tab in your spreadsheet, and paste it onto the Students tab in Remind. Do not copy and paste the headings, such as name, email, or phone number. Note: You can add up to 150 people at one time.
- Repeat Steps 7 for the Parent and Teachers tab on the Google Sheet or Excel spreadsheet for the respective tabs in Remind. Make sure you’re copying from the correct tab on your spreadsheet and pasting the information to the correct tab in Remind.
- Click the blue Add People button on the bottom left of the Remind dashboard.
- You’re now done! All the individuals you added will appear on the People list of the class or on the People list of your school. Note: If you’re not seeing an updated People list, refresh the page.
How to add co-owners to a class
There are two ways you can add a co-owner to a class. You can add them through the Settings or the People dashboard of your class.
Once you've made a person an owner of a class, you cannot remove their ownership. They have to remove themselves via their Remind account. However, you can remove your ownership of a class at any time.
We'll send the new class owner an email or an SMS about the change depending on their notification preferences.
From the Settings page
- After adding teachers, students, and parents to your organization, we highly recommend connecting students to their parent's or guardian's account. On the Students People list, click the plus sign under the Family members column to add a parent/guardian. Learn more here.
- Once you've created accounts for everyone in your community, make sure to notify them about their new Remind account. You can use our non-rostered email templates here.
- You can always update the contact information of people in your community via your dashboard. Learn more here.
- With our Direct add process, you can add people to your school and/or create classes for them before creating rostered accounts and/or classes using an SIS sync method. If you want to use the Direct add and an SIS Sync method to provision accounts, you'll want to read our article here.