For administrators with a Remind plan.
You can create accounts for staff members, parents, and students in your organization without transferring data from your student information system (SIS). You can also create classes and populate them. Click here for information about rostering with a SIS sync.
Before creating accounts for anyone in your community, make sure to notify them about Remind. You can find email templates here.
Create Remind accounts with contact information
If you have contact information for people in a school, you can create accounts for them by adding them directly to Remind.
You'll need a spreadsheet with the full names and contact information of the people you'd like to add to Remind, separated into students, parents, and teachers. NOTE: An email address is required for adding teachers to Remind.
You can add up to 150 people at a time, and you can repeat the process as many times as necessary.
Once you have your spreadsheet, log in to Remind and go to a school dashboard.
- Click on the Add people button in the top right.
- In the menu on the left, select Phone or email contacts.
- From your spreadsheet, copy and paste the required information into the table. The table will expand to accommodate your data. Be sure to copy all the information that you need at once (name, contact information, etc.). You won't be able to copy and paste a single column at a time.
- Click on the Add people button to create their Remind accounts.
When accounts have been successfully created, you'll see them appear in your organization's people list. You can also connect family members on Remind.
- What if people already have Remind accounts?
If you create a Remind account for someone who already has an account, or if they text your school code to 81010, they'll be automatically added to your organization.
If you see duplicates of people in your organization, they might have signed up with a different email address or cell phone number. Contact the Support team to merge multiple accounts.
- Does Remind comply with Children's Online Privacy Protection Act?
Remind complies with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), so any student accounts you create are treated as accounts for children under 13 and limited to one-way messaging. However, students are immediately prompted to add their date of birth to their accounts. If they indicate that they're 13 or older, two-way messaging will be available on their accounts.
- Follow these instructions to create a class. Make sure the class is linked to the correct school.
- Follow these instructions to add the appropriate teacher(s) as class owner so they have management controls.
TIP: Creating a class will automatically make you an owner. You can empower teachers to create their own classes by following the same instructions.
Teachers and administrators can own up to 100 classes on their accounts.
Add people to a Remind class
There are two ways to add people to a class:
- Follow these instructions to add people to a class in the same way that you created accounts for them at the school: by adding contact information or sharing a class code.
- You can also copy people into a class from the people tab in your dashboard. Follow these instructions to add them to a class. Note: only admins have access to a full people list at the school level.
- If you have teacher role approval turned on for your organization, approved teachers can directly add people to their class without having to wait for them to first accept an invitation.
Note: Teachers cannot directly add users to staff classes.
Training staff members to create classes
Administrators can create classes for teachers, or teachers can create their own classes. We recommend leading training sessions for your staff as part of rolling out Remind.
For more information, check out the How do I prepare my teachers for using Remind? webinar here.