For Aeries administrators with Remind Hub.
SIS syncing with Remind is the fastest, most effective way to automatically create accounts and classes for your teachers, students, and parents using data from your organization's SIS. Once you've completed an SIS sync, you can expand your communication and drive the adoption of Remind across your organization.
You can transfer data from your SIS via Aeries API, especially if your district or school already uses Aeries. Typically, Aeries rostering will take 3-14 business days to complete if your organization's data is already syncing to Aeries. It will take 5-21 business days if your organization still needs to sync data with Aeries.
Remind will mirror the Aeries data your organization wants to share with us exactly. This can sometimes include data errors. We highly recommend that you work with Aeries's Support team to make changes to the data before you share it with Remind.
This article contains the following sections:
Before you begin
Make sure you're a district administrator. You should have access to your district's Aeries account and your Remind district's dashboard.
Do not share emergency contact information with Remind, if possible. Be sure you have access to filter and manage data within Aeries before you share your organization's data with Remind.
You can only actively sync schools in your Remind Hub plan.
You can use these instructions to add administrators if you need to provide others admin access to Remind.
Aeries API Setup
Step 1: Add Remind in Aeries
Resource - API Security Page
- Log in to your district administrator account in Aeries.
- Go to the Security node of Aerie's navigation menu to access API Security.
- Click the Add button to create a record for Remind.
- Enter Remind as the Product Name.
- Check the OneRoster box.
- Click Insert to save the Remind record.
Step 2: Share data with Remind via Aeries
Set sharing permissions for Remind to let Aeries know what data you want to transfer. Your organization's data will be shared with Remind in the OneRoster file format. You can see how we will receive the information by looking at the OneRoster file format in this article.
We recommend sharing data by the district if your full district purchased, or you can share by the school. Include the following data points:
|student full name
|guardian full name
|teacher full name
|guardian mobile number or email
|class list of students
All data points are required except for preferred_language. However, we highly recommend you provide the language preference for all your teachers, students, and parents so you can easily send them auto-translated district and school-wide messages.
If you choose not to share preferred language data with Remind, the preferred language for all accounts will be blank and default to English. Users can add a preferred language to their account at any time.
Please keep the following in mind when sharing data via Aeries:
- An account will be created for every parent/guardian contact shared with Remind. Before initiating a data share via Aeries, we strongly recommend filtering out emergency contacts and any individuals prohibited from contacting students.
- You must enable Student Data, Schools, Teacher Data, Classes, and Master Schedule Read permissions to complete an SIS sync.
- Remind classes will be created for every section shared with Remind, so set up sharing rules to omit unnecessary or inactive classes.
- If a student, teacher, parent, or administrator changes their preferred language, their setting will override the language preference data you've shared with Remind for them.
The only values we accept for preferred_language and guardian_preferred_language are any two-letter ISO-639-1 or BCP-47 code or three-letter ISO-639-2 or ISO-639-3 code you can get from this list here.
Step 3: Connect and match your schools in Remind
- Sign in to your Remind account.
- Click on your district's name on the left navigation menu.
- Click on the SIS Sync tab, and select Start SIS sync setup.
- Choose Aeries and click Continue.
- Click Start Aeries setup on the right.
- Copy and paste the OneRoster URL, Consumer ID, and Consumer Secret Key from Aeries into the Aeries setup page in Remind and click Continue.
If you get an error, it's usually because there are leading or trailing spaces. Remove them from your entries, and click Continue again.
- Match your schools and click Next. Once schools are mapped, they cannot be remapped.
- Confirm your schools are correct.
After you've matched the schools, Remind will automatically start to receive your organization's. You’ll receive an email once this initial data share is complete.
When you're ready to push your organization's data live, please reach out to our Implementation team. Your data will not be active in Remind until you communicate with our Implementation team. Remind will automatically pull new data every day at 9 PM PT once the data is enabled.
Step 4: Send notifications
Once your data is live, you’ll need to notify teachers, students, and parents about their new accounts. Any district or school administrator can manually send notifications from each school’s SIS sync dashboard. You can learn more about the first teacher, student, and parent notifications here.
Step 5: Add student numbers (optional)
If you want students to receive school and class announcements via their phone, and your SIS doesn't have this contact information, they should link their cell phone number to their rostered account. Students can add mobile numbers to their SIS-linked Remind accounts in less than a minute. Learn more on how they can do that here.