Only for Remind Hub administrators rostering via CSV format 1.0, 2.0, or OneRoster. Use this resource if you're adding people directly.
CSV sync via Secure File Transfer Protocol (or SFTP) is a simple, powerful option for SIS syncing your district. You can expand reach and drive adoption across your entire community by automatically creating accounts and classes with data from your SIS.
This article contains the following sections:
- Before you begin
- CSV rostering
Before you begin
- Only district administrators can complete the rostering process for their organization. The rostering person will initiate and manage your SIS to Remind sync, including exporting data and configuring the SFTP transfer. They must have access to their SIS data and the ability to manipulate that data into the Remind templates. If you need to give another person on your team district admin access, click here to see directions on how to add administrators. Please contact our Support team if you don't have access to your district's dashboard.
- Make sure your organization can set up an SFTP transfer from your SIS or other data source to Remind. You can export data directly from your SIS or through a SQL query. If you’re unable to produce the required CSVs, please contact your SIS directly. Remind is unable to troubleshoot data exporting from your SIS and SQL for CSV syncs.
- Please choose the CSV type you want to use for a CSV sync with Remind and format your files before moving on in this article:
- Decide if you want SIS rostering enforcement turned on for your district. SIS rostering enforcement allows you to remove the option for SIS-linked students, parents, and teachers to leave your organization on Remind.
Export & Format CSVs
The first step in setting up your CSV sync is determining which CSVs need to be exported from your SIS. Your CSVs should only include the data required to create the accounts and classes you need.
A CSV sync can contain up to six CSV files. Your files should always include a full snapshot of active school data based on the information you want to share. Be sure to include all of the required fields in the CSVs.
Data additions, deletions, and updates are processed in subsequent syncs as long as Remind is receiving new data from your SIS at least once every 90 days.
Please review the following guidelines before exporting your CSV files:
Transfer CSV files to Remind for review
Once your CSV files are prepared, transfer your data to Remind via SFTP. We recommend setting up a recurring data transfer within your SFTP tool. You can set up an automatically recurring sync, or transfer your data manually when you need to update SIS sync information in Remind.
- Click SIS Sync on your district dashboard.
- Select Start SIS sync setup.
- Select your rostering format - Remind CSV 2.0 or OneRoster.
- Click Continue.
- Click SFTP credentials located at the top right.
- Use the STFP credentials listed on Step 2 of the SFTP sync details page to complete the CSV sync upload.
Click Generate credentials, to obtain a username and password.
- You must transfer all required CSV files at the same time.
- Please note your username and password in a safe place.
- Transfer data to Remind directly from your SIS, using your SIS sync service, or by uploading files using an SFTP client. For static syncs, we recommend using an SFTP client such as Cyberduck to transfer files to Remind at least once every 90 days.
- We can receive your transferred files at any time. If you would like to set up a recurring SFTP sync, we recommend scheduling your data transfer between 7 pm and 10 pm PST.
- Check the SIS sync report for instructions on how to finish SIS syncing your schools.
Once your files are successfully uploaded, you'll see the Last Upload date change and the Match schools button appear.
Note: The Match school button only appears if you have schools in your district that have not been matched. We cannot begin data processing until your schools have been matched. Once schools are mapped, they cannot be remapped.
- Click Match schools.
- Review each SFTP school listed.
- Click the drop-down menu under the Remind school column to connect the SFTP school in your CSV files to the correct school in Remind.
- Click Next.
- Review the SFTP school and Remind school connections.
- Click Confirm.
- Click Go to SIS Sync to return to the dashboard.
Our system will then analyze data for the matched schools only.
Review and resolve data errors and alerts
Once our Implementation team has analyzed your data, you'll receive an email regarding any errors or alerts. You can review these errors and alerts on the SIS sync page for the schools you chose to sync.
- Scroll down on the SIS sync dashboard to the School table.
- Click on the name of each school highlighted in red to download and review a detailed report of the errors and alerts for the specific people and/or classes impacted.
Use the articles below for information on addressing potential CSV file format errors, sync holds, and errors/alerts.
CSV file format errors: If your files have formatting issues, you will be notified via email, and your sync will not proceed. Learn more about CSV file format errors.
Sync holds: A school's sync will be placed on hold if Remind suspects a data configuration issue in your files. You will be notified via email when a sync is placed on hold. Learn more about sync holds.
Sync errors and alerts: Errors are issues in your SIS that prevent teacher or student accounts from being created. You must address these as soon as possible. Alerts are minor data errors in your SIS that, if fixed, would make Remind more useful and productive to use for your organization. Learn more about sync errors & alerts.
Transfer all required files to Remind again after you've fixed the sync errors/alerts.
When you're ready to push your organization's data live, please reach out to our Implementation team. Your data will not be active in Remind until you communicate with our Implementation team.
After you've approved the release of your organization's data, the initial data sync may take anywhere from 20 minutes to 24 hours to finish. Once the initial sync is complete, we'll send you a confirmation email with details of the sync and next steps.
The processing time of subsequent data syncs should not exceed 8 hours.