For administrators with a Remind plan.
Rostering is the fastest, most effective way to roll out Remind across your organization. By automatically creating accounts and classes with data from your student information system (SIS), you can expand reach and drive adoption across your entire community.
This guide includes everything you need to set up rostering at your organization.
- Step 1: Choose a rostering option
- Step 2: Transfer data from your SIS
- Step 3: Notify teachers, students, and parents
- Step 4: Manage your SIS sync
To make the onboarding experience as smooth as possible, we recommend informing your community about the Remind rollout before you begin rostering your organization. Email templates for notifications are available here.
Step 1: Choose a rostering method
There are two options for rostering with a SIS sync, or transferring data from your SIS to Remind:
- Direct sync – Transfer data from your SIS directly to Remind via SFTP. This method can accommodate CSV files formatted to Remind or OneRoster 1.1 requirements. This option is compatible with any SIS or rostering service (e.g. ClassLink) that can export CSV files and is recommended for all schools and districts with SFTP capabilities.
- Clever sync – Transfer data from your SIS to Remind via Clever. This option is recommended only for schools and districts already using Clever.
Note: You can also create Remind accounts and classes without a SIS sync (click here for instructions). This option is recommended for smaller schools and districts as well as non-traditional organizations.
Step 2: Transfer data from your SIS
Once you’ve chosen a rostering option for your school or district, you can begin transferring data from your SIS.
Note: Your SIS data should be updated and reviewed (removing or filtering out former students/teachers and parent/emergency contacts that should not be in Remind) prior to transferring to Remind. Additionally, we recommend reviewing existing Remind data with some actions items listed in this article that can help maintain accuracy within manually entered data that is not affected by rostering.
Review Rostering FAQ and detailed instructions for each option below.
Once selected, your organization's rostering method can't be changed.
Step 3: Notify teachers, students, and parents
After you finish transferring data from your SIS, you’ll need to notify teachers, students, and parents about their new accounts, as no automatic notifications are sent during account creation. Learn more about the first notification here.
- Teachers will receive an email with directions to log in and claim their classes. Their accounts and classes will only become active once this step is completed.
- Students and parents will receive a message through their primary contact point with directions to log in to their account.
Step 4: Manage your SIS sync
After you transfer your data from your SIS to Remind, you can check the status of your sync through your SIS sync report. In your district dashboard, select the SIS sync tab to drill down into sync details. District administrators can click on individual schools to access school-specific information.
You can also enable rostering enforcement from the district SIS sync report. Rostering enforcement allows you to remove the option for rostered students, parents, and teachers to leave your organization on Remind.