In order for your teachers and staff members to have access to Canvas, you must first enable the feature from your administrator dashboard. Once you have activated Canvas, your teachers will then need to connect their Remind account to Canvas.
Setting up Canvas
From your administrator dashboard in Remind:
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Select App integrations from the navigation menu on the left.
- Click Set up for Canvas.
From your Canvas dashboard:
- Click on Admin from the left navigation menu.
- Select the name of the organization that needs Canvas configured.
- Select Developer Keys from the left navigation menu.
- Click + Developer Key button on the top right.
- Select +API Key from the menu.
- Add a value in the Key Name field (ex. Remind).
- Enter the email address of the account owner in the Owner Email field.
- Enter https://www.remind.com/v2/users/linked_accounts/1b7342bf-b630-4db8-b03a-c564b735e2f5/callback for the Redirect URIs field.
- Skip the Redirect URI (Legacy), Vendor Code (LTI 2), Icon URL, and Notes field.
- Leave Test Cluster Only unchecked.
- Leave Client Credentials Audience as Canvas.
- Click Save.
- Under the Details column in Canvas, copy the ID listed and paste it into the ID section on Step 3 in Remind.
- Under the Details column in Canvas, click Show Key, copy the Key, and then paste it into the Key section on Step 3 in Remind.
- While logged into your Canvas account, go to that browser window and copy the URL and paste it in Remind. Copy the entire URL, but do not include anything after .com.
- Click Submit in Remind. Canvas is now enabled! Follow the remaining steps to configure your Canvas LTI for your organization.
- In Remind, click Set up LTI for Canvas.
- In Canvas, click Settings from the left navigation menu.
- Select the Apps tab at the top.
- Type Remind in the Filter by Name field.
- Click the Remind box and then click +Add App.
- In Remind, click Generate Credentials under Step 8.
- Record the Consumer Key and Shared Secret credentials in a secure and safe place. You will not be able to see this username and password again.
- Copy the Consumer Key from Remind and paste it into the Consumer Key field in Canvas.
- Copy the Shared Secret credential from Remind and paste it into the Shared Secret field in Canvas.
- Click Add App in Canvas.
- The Remind app is now successfully installed in Canvas.
- Click Complete in Remind.
- Congratulations, your Canvas LTI is now set up! Click Go to Integrated apps to return to your Remind dashboard.
Inform your staff
In order to make sure all the staff members in your organization set up their Canvas LMS integration, we recommend sending them a districtwide message on Remind with this helpful instruction on how to configure their account for Canvas.