Available to administrators with a Remind School Plan or District Plan. You can learn more about these plans here.
Direct Sync via SFTP is a simple, powerful option for rostering your school or district. By automatically creating accounts and classes with data from your SIS (Student Information System), you can expand reach and drive adoption across your entire community.
This overview covers the following topics:
Step 1: Export CSVs
The first step to setting up your Direct Sync is determining which CSVs need to be exported from your SIS. Your CSVs should include only the data required to create the accounts and classes you need.
Data can be exported directly from your SIS or through a SQL query. If you’re unable to produce the required CSVs, please contact your SIS directly; Remind is unable to troubleshoot data exporting from your SIS and SQL for Direct Syncs at this time.
Step 2: Format CSVs
Direct Sync can contain up to six CSV files. Be sure to include all required fields in your CSVs. Your files should always include a full snapshot of active school data; Remind will handle necessary additions, deletions, and updates for recurring syncs.
Please review the following guidelines before exporting your CSV files:
- Header rows are required and must match the formatting requirements exactly. Header names are case-sensitive.
- An account will be created for every parent/guardian contact included in your files. We strongly recommend excluding any emergency contacts as well as any individuals prohibited from contacting students.
- Remind classes will be created for every section included in your files. We strongly recommend excluding any sections that should not be created in Remind.
How to format CSVs for Direct Sync:
- Remind CSV format
- OneRoster CSV format (coming soon)
Step 3: Transfer CSVs to Remind
Once your CSV files are prepared, it's time to transfer your data to Remind via SFTP. You can set up an automatically recurring sync, or transfer your data manually whenever you need to update roster information in Remind. All required CSV files must be transferred at the same time.
In your district administrator SIS sync report, select sync directly with Remind.
Next, click on View sync details in the top right corner:
You can choose whether to transfer data directly from your SIS, or by uploading files using an FTP client. You’ll need the information from your sync details in Remind to complete the Direct Sync upload.
- Upload URL*
- Port #
- Username and password credentials
*Upload URL can be found in your FTP client under different terminology (i.e. Host)
Remind can receive your transferred files at any time. If you would like to set up a recurring SFTP sync, we recommend scheduling your data transfer between 7pm and 10pm PST.
Data can be uploaded to Remind a maximum of once per day.
Step 4: Match your schools
After your transfer your data to Remind, you’ll receive a confirmation email with details of your sync and next steps. The initial upload can take several hours to process. Follow the instructions provided to match your schools in Remind to your schools from your CSV files. If you’d prefer not to roster a school with Direct Sync, deselect the school.
Make sure that Remind schools match the corresponding SFTP schools. Review the list and correct any discrepancies.
Remind will immediately begin processing the Direct Sync, creating accounts and rostering classes with all of the data provided in your CSVs. Classes will remain in a pending state until the teacher logs into Remind and claims their account. As classes become live in Remind, administrators will be able see those classes from the 'Classes' tab in their admin dashboard. Please note that teachers who are already active Remind users will gain access to their rostered classes immediately.
Once the initial sync is complete, you’ll receive a confirmation email with details of your sync and next steps. Please note the first Direct Sync can take several hours to process.
Step 5: Send teacher, student and parent notifications
After the Direct Sync is complete, you’ll need to notify teachers, students, and parents about their new accounts. Any district or school administrator can manually trigger notifications from each school’s SIS sync report. You can learn more about the first teacher, student and parent notifications here.
To ensure accurate data is transferred via SFTP, Remind has several safeguards in place. Reference the articles below for information on addressing CSV file format errors, sync holds and errors/alerts.
- CSV file format errors: If your files have format issues, your sync will not proceed. You will be notified via email if your files have any format errors. Learn more about CSV file format errors.
- Sync holds: A school's sync will be placed on hold if Remind suspects a data configuration issue in your files. You will be notified via email when a sync is placed on hold. Learn more about sync holds.
- Sync errors and alerts: Errors are issues in your SIS that prevent teacher or student accounts from being created. It's critical that you address these as soon as possible. Alerts are minor data errors in your SIS that, if fixed, would make Remind more useful and productive to use for your school community. Learn more about sync errors & alerts.